Vintage Mustang Forums

Vintage Mustang Forums (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/)
-   Vintage Mustang Forum (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/)
-   -   Adding backup lights to a 65 (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/960769-adding-backup-lights-65-a.html)

MedievaL 04-10-2016 11:51 PM

Adding backup lights to a 65

I know my T5 has the backup switch but my car doesn't currently have backup lights. I would like to add them if it isn't too difficult. Can someone who has done it point me in the right direction?

2nd 66 04-11-2016 12:03 AM

get one of these Tremec TKO Ford T 5 T56 T45 LGT700 Reverse Light Switch Plug Connector Harness | eBay find a constant power supply fish some wires add rear valance with reverse lights .done

MedievaL 04-11-2016 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2nd 66 (Post 7938577)
get one of these Tremec TKO Ford T 5 T56 T45 LGT700 Reverse Light Switch Plug Connector Harness | eBay find a constant power supply fish some wires add rear valance with reverse lights .done

I hoped it would be that simple. I was thinking it should be switched power instead of constant though. I don't guess it really matters does it?

kenash 04-11-2016 12:34 PM

I went through this when I added back up lights and later the T5z. As noted, you need the harness. Assume you already have the lights installed?

gt350sr 04-11-2016 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MedievaL (Post 7939633)
I hoped it would be that simple. I was thinking it should be switched power instead of constant though. I don't guess it really matters does it?

you want a power source that's hot only when key is on, it then is switched via your trans switch when you row to reverse.. if you use a constant power, your bu lights will be on when you park and leave it in reverse- such as when on a hill

2nd 66 04-11-2016 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gt350sr (Post 7939697)
you want a power source that's hot only when key is on, it then is switched via your trans switch when you row to reverse.. if you use a constant power, your bu lights will be on when you park and leave it in reverse- such as when on a hill

Correct, I miss spoke The factory used a black/red wire from the fuse box that goes to a 3 way yellow plug it is listed as wire 140 in the Jim Osborn wiring diagram manual

MedievaL 04-16-2016 11:55 AM

I thought I knew which connection on the T5 was the backup light circuit but I guess I dont. There is a plug on the driver's side of the transmission and it looks like there is one on top near the shifter. I am guessing it is the one near the shifter?.

22GT 04-16-2016 12:42 PM

MedievaL 04-16-2016 02:55 PM

Thank you

kenash 04-16-2016 03:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a pic of my T5 before the install. The "2-Pin" plug, shown on the left is the back-up light socket.

196667Bob 04-16-2016 04:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Attached from an original NOS 1965 Back-up Light Kit.

Bob

RICHFKFD42 05-03-2019 02:20 PM

Bac-up light help

Quote:

Originally Posted by 196667bob (Post 7956162)
attached from an original nos 1965 back-up light kit.

Bob

hello bob, could you please send me the pfd or jpeg files for the original nos 1965 back-up light kit. I have a 64.5 that need to have the lights installed and i want to get the wires in the right place.
Tnx,
rich frankenfield

Woodchuck 05-03-2019 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MedievaL (Post 7939633)

Well, since it is recommended to park your vehicle in reverse a constant power source might not be best. LOL.

Since back-up lights were optional, your harness MAY have the necessary BLK/RED wires in the harness, adjacent to the wires to the NSS (or its jumper). If not, under the dash you should have a "triple tap" female bullet connector possibly in BLK/GRN from which you can run power to your T-5's backup light switch and then from the switch back into the passenger compartment and to the rear. If I were wiring from scratch, I'd use the "divot" immediately to the rear of the shifter hole to drill a 3/8" hole for a grommet and run the 2 wires through it, up the top of the tunnel under secure tape to under the dash, and the wire to the rear lamps over to the left kick panel and with the rest of the rear lamp wiring to the back, then through the OE location and grommet to the lamps.

BlakeTX 05-03-2019 03:37 PM

Silly question, but why add back up lights? You rarely need them and they dont do all that much. I deleted mine because I thought it looked cleaner and Ive never missed them.

Flade 05-03-2019 06:04 PM

I recently added backup lights to the 65 I am working on. I replaced the tail light harness since it was pretty cruddy, and used the one with the backup light wiring already there. Since it was a toploader I was able to use the original style switch and wiring from the dash to the switch. This should be easy to adapt to the T5. Under the dash the connections were available, but the plugs didn’t match the new tail light harness, so I just made an adapter harness to mate up the connections. Overall it was quite easy.

Essentially switched power to the trans, then it runs back to the dash where it connects to the tail light harness. I can provide pics and part numbers if needed.

As for Blake’s question. Switch to hi grade LEDs and they work fantastic. Look up Kelly’s thread on the subject.