Any idea why door glass slides down when cranked all the way up? - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Any idea why door glass slides down when cranked all the way up?

The driver side window of my 71 Mustang falls down ever so slightly whenever I crank the window all the way up. It's extremely frustrating. Any ideas why where to start? Should I just replace the entire manual window regulator? I want to shy away from this at first because the clearances in the door may be really difficult to work with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 12:08 AM
PetesPonies

Yes, replace the regulator.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Any experience using this guy?

Dorman 752-118 Ford Mustang Front Driver Side Manual Window Regulator

Or would I be better off getting a used OEM regulator?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 01:26 PM

You probably don't need a new regulator. The problem is likely with the clutch in the regulator. The original grease in there dries up and renders the clutch non-functional.

You can do a search for posts I made about this a few years back. The clutch can be removed, cleaned, relubed, and reassembled for like new performance. It's not hard, but you must be careful with that big spring.

Like I said in those posts, it would be great if we could purchase just the clutch, or even the bushings in them that wear out. Repop regulators have a reputation for being flimsy compared to originals.

PJ
Formerly known as Bashed68.
Resto-modded '68 convertible.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
You probably don't need a new regulator. The problem is likely with the clutch in the regulator. The original grease in there dries up and renders the clutch non-functional.

You can do a search for posts I made about this a few years back. The clutch can be removed, cleaned, relubed, and reassembled for like new performance. It's not hard, but you must be careful with that big spring.

Like I said in those posts, it would be great if we could purchase just the clutch, or even the bushings in them that wear out. Repop regulators have a reputation for being flimsy compared to originals.
Sounds like the OP has manual windows - here is a pic of the window regulator:

I thought the pinion gear on the end of the crank shaft is in direct contact with the [partial] ring gear on the regulator arm (like earlier year Mustangs Im familiar with). The pinion shaft is supported by a bearing under the little cover that is riveted on. What is this 'clutch' you speak of?

I would think if the OPs regulator is 'slipping' allowing the window to drop a bit then the pinion and/or ring gear teeth are worn which allows 'backlash' (clearance) which allows the window to move (drop).

Thanks
Paul

Okay. Engine Stop. ACA out of Detent. Mode Control, both Auto. Descent Engine Command Override, Off. Engine Arm, Off. 413 is in.
-Buzz Aldrin, Apollo 11 LMP
Actual first words from the surface of the moon

Early Fox: 5.0L HO SEFI conversion, 5-speed, 8.8 w/3.27:1 TL, full dual exhaust

1968 coupe - Ordered 12.15.67 Delivered 2.1.68: 8T01T, 65C, 289 conversion, hanger queen

Last edited by Paul1958; 05-03-2016 at 02:02 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1958 View Post
Sounds like the OP has manual windows - here is a pic of the window regulator:

I thought the pinion gear on the end of the crank shaft is in direct contact with the [partial] ring gear on the regulator arm (like earlier year Mustangs Im familiar with). The pinion shaft is supported by a bearing under the little cover that is riveted on. What is this 'clutch' you speak of?

I would think if the OPs regulator is 'slipping' allowing the window to drop a bit then the pinion and/or ring gear teeth are worn which allows 'backlash' (clearance) which allows the window to move (drop).

Thanks
Paul
The clutch is that brass-colored thingy in your picture where the crank shaft comes out. Remove the large spring on the regulator, then the three rivets attaching the clutch. It comes apart after that. I used small, thin-headed screws to reattach the clutch. There's not enough room for an ordinary screw head. Pop rivets would probably work, but I didn't have such.

PJ
Formerly known as Bashed68.
Resto-modded '68 convertible.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
The clutch is that brass-colored thingy in your picture where the crank shaft comes out.
I believe that is the bearing retainer/housing. There should be no serviceable parts under there. What is this 'clutch' you speak of? Please explain or show pics.

Thanks
Paul

Okay. Engine Stop. ACA out of Detent. Mode Control, both Auto. Descent Engine Command Override, Off. Engine Arm, Off. 413 is in.
-Buzz Aldrin, Apollo 11 LMP
Actual first words from the surface of the moon

Early Fox: 5.0L HO SEFI conversion, 5-speed, 8.8 w/3.27:1 TL, full dual exhaust

1968 coupe - Ordered 12.15.67 Delivered 2.1.68: 8T01T, 65C, 289 conversion, hanger queen
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 02:20 PM

Garage
arent they bolted in for 71's
maybe the mounts are just loose

1970 Mach 1 San Jose built Dec 23 1969. Marti 1 of 7. Purchased in 1987. Original family owner of the power train
351C 2v FMX.

1993 GT 13,000 miles, Built 2-12-93 Bought 8/3/93 Auto, 3:27 Axle, cloth, sunroof, AC. Unmolested all original car. Purchased new 8-3-93. still has the factory windshield fluid.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 02:36 PM

Under the cover is a wrap spring clutch. Sorta the rotary equivalent of the Chinese finger torture toy I had as a kid. Push finger in easy, pull out not so much.
Pushing down on the window causes the wrap clutch to self lock and prevent the window from going down. If it weren't there a pry bar could force the windows down on any car. When it gets worn it cannot lock up anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page