Possible steering changes? - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Possible steering changes?

I have a 67' cpe 289, T5. Is there any modern steering systems available that would be a bolt in and perform better than my car's old rack and pinion? I have heard that a fox body steering could work, and also heard that it wouldn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvolsr1 View Post
I have a 67' cpe 289, T5. Is there any modern steering systems available that would be a bolt in and perform better than my car's old rack and pinion? I have heard that a fox body steering could work, and also heard that it wouldn't.

why do you think you have rack & pinion steering? did a p/o change it? r&p was not offered on mustang until 1974.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 06:40 PM

You don't have rack and pinion, you have an old steering box. It is probably worn out. I would look into getting your steering box restored to stock specs by someone like Chockostang, make sure all your steering components are in good condition, then get a good alignment with modern specs. You won't believe it's the same car.

Fox body steering will not work in an early Mustang. There are rack and pinion kits available that do. Many on this forum have them. Do some searching and you will find a lot of threads about this. They get mixed reviews...

Good luck,
MrFreeze

"When a woman is a really good driver, she is just about perfect."

- Raymond Chandler

'66 GT Fastback show car, nightmist blue, warmed up original 289 & T-5Z, 3.80 trac-loc, AC, PS, pony interior, Retrosound, rally pac

'66 Coupe driver, Bullitt green, 302HO w/ 351W heads, roller rockers, Holley 600, T-5Z, 3.55 trac-loc, collapsible column, tank armor, disk brakes, shoulder belts

'11 BMW 335i X-drive, 6 speed manual, all the bells and whistles

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 07:26 PM

Probably time to check the whole suspension for worn components.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvolsr1 View Post
I think the Borgeson powered box would suit your plans. They offer a faster steering 14:1 box, to fit manual or power steering cars.

The 67 is a transition model, so the steering components change from the 1 inch sector shaft to the 1 1/8" sector shaft part way through the model year. So be sure to have your car checked to see which variant you have.

1969 Mach1 Black Jade 351W FMX P/S A/C PDB
1970 Coupe Titanium smoke 302 T5
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 08:58 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
You have a recirculating-ball worm and sector steering box. High-end manufacturers like Mercedes Benz and BMW still use these boxes due to their durability. Today's manufacturers use rack & pinion, actually an OLDER technology, for two primary reasons.... they fit easier in today's chassis.....and they're CHEAPER. Get your box rebuilt.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page