Pinion Yoke 66 I6 - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Pinion Yoke 66 I6

I am looking for a pinion yoke for my 66 mustang 6 cylinder. From what I read online my car has a 7.25" rear end. I have searched everywhere and I am unable to locate this pinion yoke. I have found a couple on ebay that say 25 spline but one of them says it's for an 8", and the other does not specify. Did Ford use two different spline yokes? How do I tell the difference between the one for the 8" and the one for the 7.25"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 11:54 PM

The 7" rear on the I6 was totally different from the 8" rear on the V8. No one makes the I6 pinion yoke. In 66 there were two different types. What transmission do you have? They were completely different depending on manual or automatic. Why do you need one? I have never seen one wear out.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 12:29 AM

try autokrafters in new market virginia. they carry used parts as well as new ones, and they may have what you want.

64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

a man's fate is a man's fate
and life is but an illusion

fordsix.com admin

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 06:35 AM

I'm still waiting to learn why he needs one. They don't wear, other than the seal ring.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 10:26 AM

This is why I hate discarding stock parts when I upgrade them- because a lot of them just aren't reproduced (didn't have the storage space to keep my 7.25" rear axle when I swapped it out for an 8", though :^).

http://just-a-six.tumblr.com
'65 Coupe, Silver Smoke Gray, Std Red Interior, ENGINE: 200ci inline six, Offy 3x1 intake, HEI ignition, Classic Inlines dual header; TRANSMISSION: T5 5 speed, 3.55 8" rear; MISC: Chockostang front disc conversion, dual master, MB "Old School" 15" wheels
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
The 7" rear on the I6 was totally different from the 8" rear on the V8. No one makes the I6 pinion yoke. In 66 there were two different types. What transmission do you have? They were completely different depending on manual or automatic. Why do you need one? I have never seen one wear out.
I have the auto transmission. My yoke is definitely worn out. I am unable to find a u-joint that fits snug. Cap to Cap on my u-joint measures 3.219" inches just like it should and I am getting a lot of play. I can fit about a penny and a half in the gap. I have searched the internet looking for a u-joint that is just a tad longer and none exist. The next size up is 3.625"
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 08:24 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Take your yoke to a driveline shop and have them straighten the ears.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Urban View Post
I have the auto transmission. My yoke is definitely worn out. I am unable to find a u-joint that fits snug. Cap to Cap on my u-joint measures 3.219" inches just like it should and I am getting a lot of play. I can fit about a penny and a half in the gap. I have searched the internet looking for a u-joint that is just a tad longer and none exist. The next size up is 3.625"
Not possible. The yoke simply does not wear in that manner. You have been sold the wrong U joint. The rear on your car is different than the front one, the two caps that go on the yoke are slightly larger than the other two. All four caps on the front one are the same (smaller) size.

This is why I kept asking what trans you have. The I6 200 with manual trans has smaller joints than you do, and all the caps are the same size.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 07:52 AM

Identify Part by Dimension (J300P)

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
Not possible. The yoke simply does not wear in that manner. You have been sold the wrong U joint. The rear on your car is different than the front one, the two caps that go on the yoke are slightly larger than the other two. All four caps on the front one are the same (smaller) size.

This is why I kept asking what trans you have. The I6 200 with manual trans has smaller joints than you do, and all the caps are the same size.
It is possible, and my car is proof of that. I have tried 3 different u-joints and I have measured the one that is currently in the car. The u-joint in the car at the pinion yoke has caps that are 1.125" and the distance from end of cap to end of cap is 3.219". These dimensions are per the spec from the manufacturer and I have physically measured to check these specs. The caps at the driveshaft are 1" and fit perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartl View Post
Thank You, I found that site yesterday while trying to find a u-joint that is a little bigger. Unfortunately, the next size up has a width of almost 1/2" bigger, I need something that is like 1/10"
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 06:57 PM

Sounds like you have a 1310SPEC and a pinion yoke whose ears have spread.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page