'71 302 Double Roller Timing Chain - Vintage Mustang Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Woodchuck

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

'71 302 Double Roller Timing Chain

My engine is out of a '71 Mustang, but I've been searching for a double roller timing chain kit for it. For whatever reason when I search on Summit, it excludes the double roller from the '71 engine year option. Is this a mistake? Surely I can use a double roller on this block, right?

Any preferred double rollers?

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 10:52 AM

The issue is a very minor one. There are two types of fuel pump eccentrics. A one piece cast and a later model which is a two piece stamped steel. The early one piece is thicker, requires a longer dowel and the cam gear is slightly thinner. The two piece eccentric is thinner, requires a shorter dowel and the cam sprocket is slightly thicker then the cam sprocket for the one piece eccentric. You have to keep all the parts matched.

I bought a billet Cloyes double roller set that will only work with the early one piece eccentric. I think Ford started using the two piece eccentric right around 71. So yes you can use it on your 71 302 as long as you use the correct eccentric and dowel for that timing chain set.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 10:59 AM

Pretty much any double roller for a ONE piece fuel pump eccentric will work for you for a 302/351w.

Something like this:

COMP Cams Magnum Double Roller Timing Sets 2120 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

'71 Fastback
9in 31 spline 4.30 Winters Performance True Trac, 4r70w manual valve body and hardened gear set, 408w with 225 High Ports, FTI Solid Roller cam, Super Vic; Aluminum MMC driveshaft, 3" Exhaust.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Thanks, fellas! I appreciate the detailed response and the link to which double roller will work.

I assume the double roller is the way to go?

Tim
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 11:58 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangtim22 View Post
Thanks, fellas! I appreciate the detailed response and the link to which double roller will work.

I assume the double roller is the way to go?

Tim
Significant overkill for most builds. The point behind double row chains is to reduce stretch caused by high camshaft loads (high lift, heavy valve springs, high pressure/volume oil pump, etc.). This "security" comes at the expense of increased friction and, thus, heat. Heck, even the HiPo had a single row chain.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartl View Post
Significant overkill for most builds. The point behind double row chains is to reduce stretch caused by high camshaft loads (high lift, heavy valve springs, high pressure/volume oil pump, etc.). This "security" comes at the expense of increased friction and, thus, heat. Heck, even the HiPo had a single row chain.
I thought the rollers helped reduce friction and heat?

Tim
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I thought the rollers helped reduce friction and heat?

Tim
99-44/100% of SBF timing chains are "roller chain". This is a chain with a cylindrical roller mounted on the link pin. This is where you get friction reduction over a plain "link chain".

Unfortunately, many folks...including manufacturers, have come to call "double row" roller chains "double roller", meaning chains with two rows and sprockets to match, with two parallel toothed wheels.

Double the chain, double the teeth, double the friction.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartl View Post
99-44/100% of SBF timing chains are "roller chain". This is a chain with a cylindrical roller mounted on the link pin. This is where you get friction reduction over a plain "link chain".

Unfortunately, many folks...including manufacturers, have come to call "double row" roller chains "double roller", meaning chains with two rows and sprockets to match, with two parallel toothed wheels.

Double the chain, double the teeth, double the friction.
I agree that there will be friction, regardless, but if I compare this to the functionality of roller lifters and a cam, would these not produce more heat as well versus flat tappet?

I'm trying to draw the logic behind what the difference between the two would be.

Tim
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I agree that there will be friction, regardless, but if I compare this to the functionality of roller lifters and a cam, would these not produce more heat as well versus flat tappet?

I'm trying to draw the logic behind what the difference between the two would be.

Tim
Exactly the opposite. Since there is GREATLY reduced friction between the lifter and camshaft there is much less force required to spin the cam.... one of the reasons why 5.0 timing chains last just about forever.
stangtim22 likes this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page