How difficult is it to remove Steering box? - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

How difficult is it to remove Steering box?

So I am finally going to go through Chocko for the rebuilt steering box, how difficult is it to remove? Do i have to remove my TRI Y headers? Do i have to remove the steering wheel and shaft?

I have a automatic car btw.

Thanks

65 Mustang Coupe
-302/C4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 10:07 AM

Garage
The shaft is part of the box, so yes- removal of the steering wheel, column bracket, tube, pitman arm, and most likely headers will be necessary. It has to be fed through the firewall, then down and out under the car..

Working on old cars teaches us patience... and every curse word imaginable!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 10:09 AM

Assuming it is a 65 as your ID says you own one: Remove the steering wheel. Remove the steering column tube (might be hard stuck on the engine side) Drop or remove the drivers side header (or exhaust manifold). I've had to drop the power steering pump to do this on my Shelby, Disconnect the pitman arm from the steering linkage. (seems the Pitman arms are not easily removed from the steering box) Unbolt the box, it will come out up and forward in the engine compartment.
Good luck, and do share the new cuss words with us.....

Roddster
67 GT 350: MCA & SAAC Gold winner
67 S code GTA coupe

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 10:12 AM

I just had power steering added and also replaced the steering box...the mechanic told me it was a bear to install. I believe he had to remove my hi-po manifolds....mine is a 4-speed though. Well worth it though...makes the car so much more enjoyable to drive!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Strong Truths Well Lived
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 10:20 AM

It's a bitch, and can come out through the top or bottom. I prefer the top. Yes, your header will have to come off. If you don't have a Pitman arm puller, disconnect the arm from the center link and leave it attached to the box (Dan can remove it and send it back all pretty). You may need to remove the DS valve cover (I think I had to; it's been awhile). It will help to also remove the driver's seat and have a helper in the car to guide the shaft through the firewall. This job is a pain, but it actually sounds worse than it is.

Good luck,
MrFreeze

"When a woman is a really good driver, she is just about perfect."

- Raymond Chandler

'66 GT Fastback show car, nightmist blue, warmed up original 289 & T-5Z, 3.80 trac-loc, AC, PS, pony interior, Retrosound, rally pac

'66 Coupe driver, Bullitt green, 302HO w/ 351W heads, roller rockers, Holley 600, T-5Z, 3.55 trac-loc, collapsible column, tank armor, disk brakes, shoulder belts

'11 BMW 335i X-drive, 6 speed manual, all the bells and whistles
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 11:00 AM

Likely you will have to deal with everything mentioned above. However call Chock and get his recommendation. I just did mine (actually finishing up many details right now). I have hipo-exhaust manifolds, I was able to take it out the top. However I had to remove all this: master cylinder; export b; and z-bar. I decided this was the easier method. Be prepared to do some painting to detail the area once everything is out of the way.

1966 white monster.
6R09A
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 12:23 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Removing the driver's side bucket seat ALSO makes it easier as you won't be fighting with clearance to the end of the shaft or inadvertently ripping the crap out of your upholstery. I'd shoot for coming out the top, as well.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page