Getting a lot of mixed info. - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Getting a lot of mixed info.

I have a 1967 mustang with a 200 inline 6. I was considering swapping out the 6 for a 289 or 302 but shyed away from that because of all of the needed work that I thought had to be done. I have been soon a lot of research and what I have found is that while the 64 65 and 66 mustangs need to have everything switched over, from 1967 on they were basically the same as the 289 cars.

So from what I understand the 67 and later 3 speed manual transmissions are basically bullet proof and well suited for a v8 and should bolt on fairly easily. Also, the rear end and suspension might be the same as the 289 model?

This leaves me with a braking power issue and only four lug wheels which I can use for a while until I can swap them out.

Does anyone have any input or know anymore about this?

I went to the classic car mechanic a few towns over today and he had his sons 67 that he had switched out from a 200 to a 302 and had done nothing else as far as brakes lugs suspension transmission or rear end. The engine was built up and it was awesome. I took it for a drive and could not believe the power.

Thanks for any help. I a just trying to get to the correct bottom of this

Jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 07:14 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
The rear axle for the 6 cylinder is the 7-1/4" ring gear integral-carrier unit, the same for all 200-1V from '67-70. The 289 used the 8" removable-carrier unit, except for the 289-4V HiPo used the 9" removable-carrier unit.

The '67-70 six cylinder uses the same front suspension as the V8, other than the front springs. The '67, in particular, uses the same spindle for both drum AND disc brakes, so the OE Kelsey-Hayes 4-piston caliper brake system can be bolted up to a 6-banger to give 5-lug front discs.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page