Love these old gals - Vintage Mustang Forums
 13Likes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Love these old gals

I'm sitting here in my home off on a conference call finding myself so looking forward to, almost giddy that I get to work on my 69 convertible tomorrow.

I'm going to replace the power steering pump, the high pressure PS line as well as the PS return line & carb. Then I decided to bite the bullet on the sloppy steering and do a replacement steering box and all new moog upper & lower control arms, inner & outer tie rods, pitman arm, & front springs and new rear leaf springs and finally new shocks all around. Then I bought the fast track alignment gauge so I'm going to give that a whirl.

I work 15-18 hour days for a high tech company managing 12 people around the world so stress gets to me sometimes and for whatever the reason I love the release of working on these old gals in my off time. Seems like no matter how stubborn the job it never causes me to stress out. Whether it's a heartfelt passion for the hobby or a partial release from the day to day stress of my job I just get super excited to be able to take something in need of a little TLC and bring it back to it's former glory or even a little a better.

Sorry, but just had to share......Wrench on everyone!!

Be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 09:26 AM

Working on the car is more enjoyable for me than sitting at a car show all day for sure.
Rorin67 likes this.

1967 Sports Sprint 289 Coupe
2007 GT/CS
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 11:41 AM

can I join this club? Happiness is a welder and a wrench. Gonna be putting in the heat shield in the interior and start the weather stripping this weekend, probably gonna order the carpet too.. Car shows are fun, but listening to OFG's, like me (old-fat-guys) talk about "this is 1 of. . . ." or "I bought it. . ." Last car show was 2014. *****, I got giddy this week when my replacement analog tach/dwell meter came in the mail, last one took a nose dive. Try finding one of those at your local Napa, Autozone, O'Rielly. Yes, wrench on

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 11:52 AM

Garage
Pics of your 69? I'm about to finish a restore my brother started years ago on his (soon to be mine). CAR, 351 auto with original build sheet. Going to put a shaker, spoiler and side-scoops to cover the ugly hair-comb (the only thing on 69s that I don't like). Hope to have it done by late summer.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 12:15 PM

Relaxing ride under sunny and warm Ibiza island.! This for sure makes you disconnect from all.
My fiend's 65 and my 66 200 I6 ponies.! Yesterday morning..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (19.8 KB, 29 views)

https://mymustangintexas.wordpress.com

1966 Mustang Hardtop 200 Inline 6 - Arcadian Blue - AT Thermactor - 6R07T213966 - San Jose projected build date June 11th 1966 - DSO 71
1966 Mustang Convertible 289-2V - Vintage Burgundy - AT PS PT DB - 6F08C109403 - Dearborn projected build date September 9th 1965 - DSO 36
Email me at [email protected]
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Here is a few of the 69

66whitepony likes this.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 12:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDSRVIT View Post
Then I bought the fast track alignment gauge so I'm going to give that a whirl.
This one?

SPC Performance FasTrax Camber Caster Gauges 91000 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

I just replaced my entire front end and wonder if that might be better than an alignment shop.

Quote:
I work 15-18 hour days for a high tech company managing 12 people around the world so stress gets to me sometimes
Be safe.
You might have me beat, but I work in IT, supporting 4 offices full of Lawyers.....

David
VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 12:57 PM

i think most people in this money pit of a hobby will agree with you. many times ill throw on some Michael Bubble or Screamo rock, fill up the whisky cup and tackle a project. sometimes it's frustrating but then you get the wife and kid in the car and go for ice cream and nothing can top the feeling of driving your dream car, with your family, that you worked on.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GT350H View Post
This one?

SPC Performance FasTrax Camber Caster Gauges 91000 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

I just replaced my entire front end and wonder if that might be better than an alignment shop.

You might have me beat, but I work in IT, supporting 4 offices full of Lawyers.....
Yup, That's the one.... I'm hoping it works well.

Yeah, on the work end our corporate society has really gone to the dogs. The days of 9-5 are gone, now for me its like 4 AM to 7PM, 8PM, sometimes 10PM...... ugh.... Even when I take a day off or a family trip I'm still tied to all these electronic leashes. Of course the money is great but right there is how they hook you and keep you.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 01:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Yup, That's the one.... I'm hoping it works well.

Yeah, on the work end our corporate society has really gone to the dogs. The days of 9-5 are gone, now for me its like 4 AM to 7PM, 8PM, sometimes 10PM...... ugh.... Even when I take a day off or a family trip I'm still tied to all these electronic leashes. Of course the money is great but right there is how they hook you and keep you.
I understand you there. I get support calls at night, on weekends and holidays. Lets not even get into when you are on vacation (ever try to support someone while in the que for Space Mountain?). I work for the US Courts, the pay is not that great. Oh well, hoping to retire soon.

David
VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 01:18 PM

Garage
I hope you can write a review here to update us on that camber caster setup. I bought this one, would not recommend to anyone...

Quick Trick Alignment QuickSlide Wheel Alignment Tools 90059 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 01:20 PM

It is just so nice being retired with all the time in the world to work on and drive my beutifull 68!
Hang in there boys - - - your time will come eventually.
j persons, rpm and 68Hildago like this.

Modified 68 Mustang convertible, 331,AOD, EPAS, MCA Red Grille Medallion, driven class. 2014 MCA Pinnacle Award
05 Mustang, MCA Grand National Gold (sold)
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd04cobra View Post
I hope you can write a review here to update us on that camber caster setup. I bought this one, would not recommend to anyone...

Quick Trick Alignment QuickSlide Wheel Alignment Tools 90059 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing
I was looking this one too but the reviews scared me away.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 01:49 PM

Wrench on, man! I have a TV hooked up out in the garage... turn on a Rangers game for background noise, pour me a rum-n-Coke to stay properly hydrated, and I am a happy guy working on my latest '65 Mustang or Jeep project!

Nothing better than smelling the Gojo on your hands as you clean up after completing another successful project!
Nailbender likes this.

http://just-a-six.tumblr.com
'65 Coupe, Silver Smoke Gray, Std Red Interior, ENGINE: 200ci inline six, Offy 3x1 intake, HEI ignition, Classic Inlines dual header; TRANSMISSION: T5 5 speed, 3.55 8" rear; MISC: Chockostang front disc conversion, dual master, MB "Old School" 15" wheels
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 02:11 PM

Garage
I'm with you guys all the way on this. Without going into the garage after work I feel like there is something missing. That's the great thing about these beautiful cars that we have. You are NEVER finished. Wrench on Guys.

Last edited by Pony Gaz; 06-03-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page