Trouble removing lifters during cam swap - Vintage Mustang Forums
 7Likes
  • 3 Post By red390GT
  • 1 Post By supershifter2
  • 2 Post By Woodchuck
  • 1 Post By PetesPonies

Old 06-06-2016, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Trouble removing lifters during cam swap

I'm having trouble removing the lifters. They will come about 3/8" and then I must hit a varnish spot (25 year barn find). Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
I'm having trouble removing the lifters. They will come about 3/8" and then I must hit a varnish spot (25 year barn find). Any suggestions would be welcomed.
you need one of these.
OEM Automotive Tools Hydraulic Lifter Removal Tools 25048 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing
Old 06-06-2016, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

The reviews on that tool are not good. Maybe there's another solution.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:29 PM

Garage
I have one of those tools, it will not help. Maybe soak penetrating fluid and work them up and down.

'67 coupe, 390, 4spd.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:50 PM
PetesPonies

You don't need anything special. There is oil build up . . so soak it.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:58 PM

Get a dent puller and tread it into the tapped and slam it out.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

Old 06-06-2016, 04:01 PM

You are going to trash those old lifter with this procedure. One by one pull lifter out/up as far as you can, then with locking vise-grips clamped around the exposed portion of the lifter, twist back and forth while pulling upward which will slowly work the varnish buildup off. Once you are done you will not be able to re-use those lifters, toss them in the trash.
TheRktmn, machm1970 and arbys like this.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:06 PM
Banned
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red390GT View Post
You are going to trash those old lifter with this procedure. One by one pull lifter out/up as far as you can, then with locking vise-grips clamped around the exposed portion of the lifter, twist back and forth while pulling upward which will slowly work the varnish buildup off. Once you are done you will not be able to re-use those lifters, toss them in the trash.
+ 1
arbys likes this.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:07 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red390GT View Post
Once you are done you will not be able to re-use those lifters, toss them in the trash.
Probably a flat tappet cam, so hopefully he is adding new lifters with the new cam.

Tim
Old 06-06-2016, 05:29 PM

If you are hitting a burr on the bottom edge of the lifter caused by excessive lifter wear, forcing them out will damage or destroy the lifter bore. Invert the engine, slide the lifters up, remove the camshaft, and examine the lifters. If there is even a microscopic ridge, it must be removed from the lifter.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Success! After working the lifters back and forth about 10-20 times each they came out with the vice grip, except one. I cracked and split apart the case and the internals went flying. I couldn't grip it with the full size vice grip so I the smallest vice grip I have and worked it out high enough to get the full size set on it and now they're all out.

Yes, new lifters with the new cam.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:56 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
FWIW, and the NEXT time someone runs across this.... CRC Carb & Choke cleaner, liberally applied, will dissolve that varnish. Spray some directly on top of the lifter, let it sit a few minutes, give it another shot and work the lifter up and down, spraying as needed.
IDSRVIT and arbys like this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

Old 06-06-2016, 06:21 PM
PetesPonies

^^ this is all you need and vise grips can help if you need it. It's all I ever use.
arbys likes this.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:06 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Actually I've soaked with carb cleaner just as bartl says and then use that exact tool above I bought from Summit and the lifters come on out. I do have to work them around and wrestle a bit but they come out with no damage. Nice for that rare occasion when you want to reuse flat tappet lifters with a cam and so don't want to damage them. Works great on roller lifters too which is what I really bought it for to begin with.
They make a neat attachment to combine a slide hammer with a pair of vice grips which is the business when lifters are really varnished up and are going to be tossed anyway.
Looks like this -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in