Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Bushing Identification

797 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Paul1958 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone! Can you please help me to identify a bushing that connects the driver side tie rod to the steering center link? I've check online but wasn't able to find the bushing for sale. Attached is the photo showing the worned down bushing. My car info: 66, 289, stock powersteering. Thanks..

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Drivers side inner tie rod? Or the boot?

Paul

#3 ·
If you have a bushing in the center link where the left inner tie rod connects it sounds like someone has repaired the center link. I've looked at a half-dozen Ford steering system diagrams and none show a bushing there.

#5 ·
There is a rubber boot that covers the ball stud of the tie rod end to keep dirt and moisture out. If the joint has no play and has no "catches" when moved you could probably get away with replacing the boot..... look in the Dorman section of your local auto parts store..typically has a sign that says "Help!". Erring on the safe side, that the joint has become contaminated with fine abrasive particles and moisture just replace it...the new joint will come with a boot. Look for a MOOG replacement.

#10 · (Edited)
Sorry to get back to this late. Yes you need either just the boot or the inner tie rod end which will come with a new boot. As mentioned the rubber boot is what prevents road grime/dirt from getting into the tie rod ball stud and if the boot is what is shot then I would suspect that the tie rod may be worn as well. Probably a good idea to replace the entire inner tie rod/boot. They are fairly easy to get out of the center link. You will need to measure the distance from the center of the outer tie rod ball stud to the center of the old inner tie rod ball stud then you can unscrew the inner tie rod from the adjusting sleeve and screw the new one in to the same dimension. The part that awhtx posted is a good part - look for that brand (Moog).

Good luck
Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.