Fire Extinguishers - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Fire Extinguishers

So as my build gets closer to street able, I'm thinking of a vehicle mounted fire extinguisher. Vehicle specific ones are expensive compared to their house style counterparts, but why? Would a standard extinguisher have problems riding around in a car if it has the same ability classification and is mounted correctly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 10:54 PM

Nah it's just that they're generally larger and uglier. They do a b c just the same

66 coupe | deep impact blue | 17" US Mags Ramblers | DSS 331 | TFS heads/Stage 1 cam | Dynomax Bullet mufflers | 3.80 Trac Lok posi | C4/Shift kit | PA Performance Billet Servo/Finned deep pan | CalTrac bars | 120mm Halo led grill lights | iPad mini Console/hidden pioneer stereo | Enclosed trunk/10" Kicker
Finally completed- working on last bugs....
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 12:21 AM

get a non dry chemical type

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 12:47 AM

Cold Fire 13.5oz Spray Can | Portable NON-Toxic Spray Can Ideal for Small Fires

I use these for my cars and keep one in the kitchen. I just put it in the area between the seat and door sill. They're the size of a paint can and work well. I used one on a bbq that lit up from the grease and it put it right out. No mess.

69 Mach One, 428CJ, 5 Speed, 3.91's.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 03:24 AM

Nope, no reason not to carry a standard one in your car, it's just harder to find the portable sizes.

The expensive ones that you are seeing are likely the Halotron extinguishers, which are also ABC but don't leave a terrible mess to clean up like standard extinguishers do. I have one because I figured if I have to deal with a fire in the first place, I don't also want to have to deal with that white powder covering absolutely everything in addition to that in the aftermath!

Calamity Jane 1966 Modified Fastback - Driven semi-daily!
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

See my travel blog here for my adventures: http://mapandamustang.blogspot.com/
Over 50,000 miles of North American roads driven on road trips since 2014. More always in the works - stay tuned!

When I show up at a car show and my car is covered in mud, it's probably because I drove 2000 miles to get there
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 07:01 AM

+1 on Halotron. I have a small one in each car, and a large one in my garage. H3R brand makes some nice ones. I have also noticed that they tend to stay charged longer than the dry chemical ones.

www.PalmieriConcepts.com custom showboards
9.911 @136.86(still practicing)
70 Mach 1 w/Boss 460 Stroker Engine, 670HP N/A-Build http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...ld-thread.html
70 Boss 302-May 70, Dearborn-Build http://www.palmiericoncepts.com/My-M...970Boss302.htm
62 Corvette-Build http://www.palmiericoncepts.com/My-M...roon/index.htm

MCA, MCCNE Member
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by app01 View Post
+1 on Halotron. I have a small one in each car, and a large one in my garage. H3R brand makes some nice ones. I have also noticed that they tend to stay charged longer than the dry chemical ones.
I also use a Halotron. They are more expensive but dont leave the mess of a dry chemical. Its mounted right under the drivers seat using a mount bought from Summit.
IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg
Mikulh likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 09:22 AM

Garage
i have the regular torpedo one from Lowes. does ABC. I bungie cord it in the trunk.

i left her in there all winter and forgot about it by mistake. in the spring i thought ida found it blown up. but it held up to -5

1970 Mach 1 San Jose built Dec 23 1969. Marti 1 of 7. Purchased in 1987. Original family owner of the power train
351C 2v FMX.

1993 GT 13,000 miles, Built 2-12-93 Bought 8/3/93 Auto, 3:27 Axle, cloth, sunroof, AC. Unmolested all original car. Purchased new 8-3-93. still has the factory windshield fluid.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 10:52 AM

No to mention the yellow powder looking chemical from standard ABC fire extinguishers is very corrosive, so its important to also inspect your fire extinguisher's. Take it out of wherever you have it mounted and look at it, invert it and look to see its not rusted, busted, leaking and verify your still in the green and check to see if the pin and seal are there. I have seen so many folks use a tie wrap in place of the seal. You also wanna buy another one or have them inspected professionally every 5 years and hydrostatically tested and rebuilt every 12. years. Fire Extinguishers are great to have, but better when they work. Any questions or for some seals, you can always stop by your local Fire Department.

Rick
Retired Firefighter
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 11:21 AM

I wrote this piece a couple of years ago but still very relevant. I have the HalGuard product in every vehicle I own. I would never use a dry-chem setup in any car. The corrosive nature will ruin paint, wiring, etc.

There are plenty of brackets out there for every generation of Mustang too. Secure it, and have it at arm's reach. Mounting it in the trunk is not a good idea (my opinion), as it is too far away. Also be sure to have a decent size so you don't run out of product and still have a fire.

How To: Fire Protection For Your Mustang - Mustang Monthly Magazine

HTH!
Mark
Blues Power likes this.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 12:56 PM

Garage
hey mark, thanks for the article. i always enjoy reading your tech info.
will def be mounting mine inside the car and will now use the Halotron one

1970 Mach 1 San Jose built Dec 23 1969. Marti 1 of 7. Purchased in 1987. Original family owner of the power train
351C 2v FMX.

1993 GT 13,000 miles, Built 2-12-93 Bought 8/3/93 Auto, 3:27 Axle, cloth, sunroof, AC. Unmolested all original car. Purchased new 8-3-93. still has the factory windshield fluid.

Last edited by Blues Power; 06-30-2016 at 01:03 PM.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 01:23 PM

I have a Halguard unit in my Mustang for the reason stated above. I have it mounted in front of the passenger seat:

-Shannon

1965 Mustang convertible

347 Stroker with Holley Dominator EFI
Street or Track coil-over suspension
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangWriter View Post
I wrote this piece a couple of years ago but still very relevant. I have the HalGuard product in every vehicle I own. I would never use a dry-chem setup in any car. The corrosive nature will ruin paint, wiring, etc.

There are plenty of brackets out there for every generation of Mustang too. Secure it, and have it at arm's reach. Mounting it in the trunk is not a good idea (my opinion), as it is too far away. Also be sure to have a decent size so you don't run out of product and still have a fire.

How To: Fire Protection For Your Mustang - Mustang Monthly Magazine

HTH!
Mark
hey Mark--that was a great article and I remember reading it a few years ago in MM! Thanks for writing it. It really started me thinking about putting an extinguisher in my car.

If anyone is looking for additional mounting bracket options, my local Mustang shop showed me this thing from Drake:
Scott Drake Store - Fire Extinguisher Mount

This is pretty small and can mount just about anywhere.

-Sam
StangWriter likes this.

1966 A-code coupe...work in progress
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 02:10 PM

Thanks Sam...

Yes, there are a few new bracket options out since that story hit. If you Google Mustang fire extinguisher it comes up with several bracket manufacturers for front or rear of seat mounting that bolt right in for vintage, Fox, S197, etc.

Mark
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 02:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to RyanSterling966
Quote:
Originally Posted by app01 View Post
I am very happy with mine and hope I never need it. I bought a clean agent extinguisher because I have seen first hand what a normal one can do to a car. In my opinion this is a silly place to try and save money.

Bought mine here
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plus i think it looks cool

My Build thread:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...thank-you.html

1966 Coupe I6 with australian head and a weber carb - Gone but not forgotten
2007 Mustang GT custom ordered - SOLD!!
1966 Fastback A-code - Finally Painted
2016 Shelby GT-350 Tech Pack Still like the 66 better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page