Virgin AC fill - Vintage Mustang Forums
 4Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Virgin AC fill

Just buttoning up all my winter upgrades (ya... I know....) and have an unfilled AC system (perfect fit elite, from CAA). Anybody do this themselves, or is this a take it in to get done kind of job? Never done one, with no gauges or equipment (yet?).

68 coupe with a 351W
Mods: a lot... just ask if you're interested
07 gt
99 Gixxer 750 (When four wheels are too many)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
And most of the times I've smashed my nuts flat with a hammer it hurt real bad so I stopped.
Just liked the quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 10:39 AM

the first thing you need to to is draw the system down with a vacuum pump for about an hour or so. you do need a set of gauges as well so you can see when the maximum vacuum is reached, should be 30 inches.

once you have held they system at 30 inches of vacuum for the hour, minimum as i have seen some that needed more time, you can then tap the cans and fill the system. you want to see system pressures of about 40psi on the low side, and between 175-200psi on the high side with the compressor running. and ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS fill the system through the low side.
Blues Power likes this.

64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

a man's fate is a man's fate
and life is but an illusion

fordsix.com admin
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 10:41 AM

my best advice though would be to take the car to an a/c pro and have them fill the system for you. if you are clumsy, you can actually get frost bite, very BAD frost bite, if you get hit with refrigerant.
Huskinhano likes this.

64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

fordsix.com admin

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

I was leaning in the direction of getting it done professionally. I've gotten splashed with liquid nitrogen before at work... not looking to repeat that again.

68 coupe with a 351W
07 gt

Quote:
And most of the times I've smashed my nuts flat with a hammer it hurt real bad so I stopped.
Just liked the quote
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 12:42 PM

What's in the system now? I would be a little concerned about the drier being contaminated with moisture. Since it is a new system I would want to shut the valve off for the vacuum pump and see if the system can hold a steady vacuum for awhile to check for leaks.

It's not my profession, HVAC, but I do hold a universal CFC license. You can not vent refrigerant into the atmosphere, even from what's in the gauge hose. At my last job I would assist our HVAC mechanic when we would replace the 6 cylinder compressors in our 100 ton units. We would use the recovery machine to evacuate the hoses of the gauges so we could fill them up with clean refrigerant. The other part is you want to remove any air and moisture from the hoses. Air in the system won't damage anything but it reduces efficiency. Basically what I'm saying is anytime you add refrigerant you want to purge the gauge hoses if they've been open to the air. Years ago you would just open the valve and blow the air out, you can't do that or you're not suppose to do that to remove air. Take rbohm's advice!

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 03:05 PM

Garage
im in the same boat looking to re do my AC

i topped off a few over the last 40 years but never dry filled one

Luckily i have a good friend who owns a shop and will walk me thru it.... will only cost me a pizza and a 6 pack as usual

I still have about 6 cans of R12 left over from the good old days when they were $1 a piece.

need to buy new lines, drier, condenser an maybe have the compressor rebuilt, but worked fine the last time i used it 10 years ago. who knows abut that at this point

1970 Mach 1 San Jose built Dec 23 1969. Marti 1 of 7. Purchased in 1987. Original family owner of the power train
351C 2v FMX.

1993 GT 13,000 miles, Built 2-12-93 Bought 8/3/93 Auto, 3:27 Axle, cloth, sunroof, AC. Unmolested all original car. Purchased new 8-3-93. still has the factory windshield fluid.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 03:10 PM
PetesPonies

You can buy a cheap venturi vacuum box . . . . really cheap. It just misses on the vacuum actually needed, but I do it this way and everything has always worked. I've been able to pull about 29 inches with it. A true vacuum machine for AC is very expensive and not worth it for someone doing it only once in a while.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the first thing you need to to is draw the system down with a vacuum pump for about an hour or so. you do need a set of gauges as well so you can see when the maximum vacuum is reached, should be 30 inches.

once you have held they system at 30 inches of vacuum for the hour, minimum as i have seen some that needed more time, you can then tap the cans and fill the system. you want to see system pressures of about 40psi on the low side, and between 175-200psi on the high side with the compressor running. and ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS fill the system through the low side.
Good advice right here. A shop will have the proper a/c machine to do this. if you had ever wanted to do it yourself OP I would only add that oil also needs to be added manually into the compressor before anything else can be done, unless it is added with the machine.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

This is really the only time I ever plan on doing it... maybe once more on the next project, but that's it I swear.

Huskinhano... totally new out of the boxes... nothing but whatever air got in the shipping and from my garage.

68 coupe with a 351W
07 gt

Quote:
Just liked the quote
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesPonies View Post
You can buy a cheap venturi vacuum box . . . . really cheap. It just misses on the vacuum actually needed, but I do it this way and everything has always worked. I've been able to pull about 29 inches with it. A true vacuum machine for AC is very expensive and not worth it for someone doing it only once in a while.

Pete, you really need to pull a little over 29 inches, about 29.2". While you do want to remove the air, any moisture may not boil off. The moisture will cause acids to build up. Air will just make it inefficient. You can always rent a pump.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 05:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franks68coupe View Post
Just buttoning up all my winter upgrades (ya... I know....) and have an unfilled AC system (perfect fit elite, from CAA). Anybody do this themselves, or is this a take it in to get done kind of job? Never done one, with no gauges or equipment (yet?).

I would get it done professionally for the reasons already stated. I would also look at the instructions for the Perfect Fit, because it indicates that the system should be filled initially with the engine off. Just check the instructions and make sure the shop doing the work follows the instructions otherwise Perfect Fit will not warranty it.

US NAVY VET - 65 Custom Fastback GT-A-code. FiTech EFI w/Tanks Inc. w/Aero 340 LPH pump, TCP Power R&P; Full front coil over conversion w/1" Shelby drop; TMI Sport R custom interior; T5z TKO, Speed Hut custom speedo; Autometer Phantom gauges; SSBC Force 10 -13" disc brakes w/10.5" rear disc brakes; 24" Griffin Radiator w/twin 11" 2800 CFM fans; Classic Auto Air AC; Truck-Lite 7" LED headlights; Mustang Project Shelby LED sequential taillights. 2001 Bullitt rims w/Nitto NT555 235x45x17 tires.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franks68coupe View Post
This is really the only time I ever plan on doing it... maybe once more on the next project, but that's it I swear.

Huskinhano... totally new out of the boxes... nothing but whatever air got in the shipping and from my garage.
as long as the hoses and various other bits have the seals in place, then there is only the moisture that was present in the air when these parts were built. however you still need to draw down a good solid vacuum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
Pete, you really need to pull a little over 29 inches, about 29.2". While you do want to remove the air, any moisture may not boil off. The moisture will cause acids to build up. Air will just make it inefficient. You can always rent a pump.
actually 29" is enough to purge the system, you just have to run it longer than normal.

64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

fordsix.com admin
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 06:04 PM

I try to do all my own work. There's only 2 times my classics have ever been to a "shop." Exhaust system and getting the A/C filled. I think I paid like $85-90 for each vehicle. Both were vintage air systems I installed. The truck's A/C is going on 10 years of service and the mustang on it's 3rd, and in SC we run air about 8-9 months of the year.

2011 Mustang 3.7L Premium Pony Package
2015 Silverado 5.3L 2LT DC Z71
1965 Mustang C Code Coupe 289/T5/3.25
1967 Chevrolet C10 350/700R/3.73
1968 Pontiac Firebird 400
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 08:34 PM
PetesPonies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
I think I stated that. But as I said, everything has worked fine I have used it on. I'd use it again.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesPonies View Post
I think I stated that. But as I said, everything has worked fine I have used it on. I'd use it again.

True, I guess I'm going back on the RTU's. We would pull the vacuum for 24 hours but then again we had a much bigger capacity. IIRC, we would dump about 60 pounds of refrigerant in too. We would pull some really deep vacuums, into the low double digit microns. I was a real PIA getting a 500# compressor up on the roof, across the roof and into the unit. Usually on 90*days. They never seem to fail in 60* weather, lol.

Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page