Retiring to start my own business - Vintage Mustang Forums
 7Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
TOS

Garage
Retiring to start my own business

Hi all. I'm new to this site (not new to mustangs). My name is Terry and have been a long time member of other Mustang and Ford forums. I am a retired Air Force Jet Engine Tech and am currently in the machining business. I am getting ready to retire from this current job and start my own machining business. I will be making aftermarket parts and have started with reusable drilling jigs/templates to perform the popular Shelby modification to relocate the upper control arms for better handling If you are anal like me and like things to be "dead on" and not "close enough". No paper template and pilot drilling just bolt on and drill. CNC machined to exact specs.

I am also in the process of designing a billet cowl vent cover that will open up to let air in but rain out.
Shifter handles, Brake conversion brackets, Radio delete plates (aluminum with engraving).

I'm just starting so these items are still in the design phase however the Shelby Drop Drilling jigs are done and ready to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180316_103008.thumb.jpg.ae58728b456d19bc79d29816d9b817fb.jpg (69.7 KB, 162 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Congratulations

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, that’s a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 08:57 AM

Congratulations on your retirement and I wish you the best of luck on your new venture.

Your drop plate jig looks top notch.

Do you do odd one off jobs?

Last edited by Grabber70Mach; 03-29-2018 at 09:00 AM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 03:40 PM

What's the price for the jig?

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 12:06 AM

If you're doing shifter handles, I recommend making a T-Lock shifter one. Someone use to sell them on here but hasn't in a long time. I know me and a few other people have been hoping to buy one if we were given the chance. Just a thought if you were thinking of things to build and offer.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
TOS

Garage
Sorry for the late reply, For some reason I'm not getting e-mail notifications when someone replys to my thread.
But yes I do one offs. Sometimes I have to model it up and program it which takes time, It just depends on what it is and
how complicated the design is. Got something in mind?
Grabber70Mach likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
TOS

Garage
Sorry for the late reply, For some reason I'm not getting e-mail notifications when someone replys to my thread.
the jigs are 25 dollars plus shipping. I make them for 65-66 and 67 - 70.
you can e-mail me at [email protected]
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
TOS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69MustangCoupe View Post
If you're doing shifter handles, I recommend making a T-Lock shifter one. Someone use to sell them on here but hasn't in a long time. I know me and a few other people have been hoping to buy one if we were given the chance. Just a thought if you were thinking of things to build and offer.
I'd be interested in giving these a shot. Any pictures or sketches available?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 04:26 PM

Location: Granite Bay, California, 5 minutes from Folsom Lake
Garage
CNC machining dash panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS View Post
Hi all. I'm new to this site (not new to mustangs). My name is Terry and have been a long time member of other Mustang and Ford forums. I am a retired Air Force Jet Engine Tech and am currently in the machining business. I am getting ready to retire from this current job and start my own machining business. I will be making aftermarket parts and have started with reusable drilling jigs/templates to perform the popular Shelby modification to relocate the upper control arms for better handling If you are anal like me and like things to be "dead on" and not "close enough". No paper template and pilot drilling just bolt on and drill. CNC machined to exact specs.

I am also in the process of designing a billet cowl vent cover that will open up to let air in but rain out.
Shifter handles, Brake conversion brackets, Radio delete plates (aluminum with engraving).

I'm just starting so these items are still in the design phase however the Shelby Drop Drilling jigs are done and ready to go.
That is officially the nicest Arning drop template on the planet! I think I'm safe in declaring that myself. Very fair price for it too.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 04:41 PM

Location: Granite Bay, California, 5 minutes from Folsom Lake
Garage
...My Global West UCA's are already dropped so I'm good. Don't need a shifter. Always wanted something flat and CNC'ed to mount gauges to, not plastic. Something that does away with the stock plastic bezels?

I also need serpentine accessory drive mounts. Would those be hard to make? Really like the March Performance Ultra 2 setup where it lets you run the a/c compressor low and on the passenger side. Gets that butt ugly thing and it's hoses where it belongs: outta sight! Don't need the March bling or prices though. Would like stock pulley sizes, no under driving. Here's my perfect world: find someone that could take the Ford Racing short V-belt water pump and press a reverse rotation impeller onto the shaft - then have a pump pulley and accessory mounts to match. Short, and bolts to an old timing cover with the mechanical fuel pump for us carbureted guys. There's nothing out there like it and the combo could still be less than alternatives, I think...?

Last edited by Fishfreq; 05-20-2018 at 04:45 PM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
TOS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfreq View Post
That is officially the nicest Arning drop template on the planet! I think I'm safe in declaring that myself. Very fair price for it too.
Thanks. I designed them to be more of a reusable jig but hopefully cheap enough for a one time use. I think the price is worth knowing that the holes are correct. I've seen people use a paper template and get their holes off a little and end up welding or hogging the hole out a little to get the UPCAs to fit.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 08:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
I'd be interested in giving these a shot. Any pictures or sketches available?
You might need to check on the patent. Hal (whisperer) used to make them, but has dropped off the radar. His shop was in Bend, Oregon.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...est-story.html

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
TOS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverblueBP View Post
You might need to check on the patent. Hal (whisperer) used to make them, but has dropped off the radar. His shop was in Bend, Oregon.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...est-story.html
Good Idea. I have actually figured out how I could make them using Scott Drake Handles and modifying them. But I can't afford to do a patent search so I'll shelf that for now.

Although I seem to remember there is a time limit on patents like this that after that limit then others can make a similar product of their own design?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Good Idea. I have actually figured out how I could make them using Scott Drake Handles and modifying them. But I can't afford to do a patent search so I'll shelf that for now.

Although I seem to remember there is a time limit on patents like this that after that limit then others can make a similar product of their own design?
Patents are very expensive. More than likely he doesn't have one or just said "patent pending" to ward off others.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 06:30 PM

Tell me what is this "retirement" thing you speak of?

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page