Rear Disc Brake Kit - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Rear Disc Brake Kit

Hey guys, I developed a rear disc brake adapter kit that allows the use of SN95 (94-04) Mustang and Mustang GT disc brakes with factory 8" and small bearing 9" axle housings. The kit does not change the track width, fits behind 15" wheels, and uses over-the-counter parts. I have been using them with the factory 4-piston KH disc brakes with great success. I have decided to offer them for sale for anyone that is considering going to 4-wheel disc brakes. The kit includes CNC-cut brackets and axle retainer spacers (black powder coated), new grade-8 axle retainer hardware, caliper bolts and washers, and machined aluminum centric rings. It does not include calipers, rotors, pads, and caliper hoses. Cost is $150 for VMF members. I currently have the 10.5" V6 and GT kits available, and the 11.65" Cobra kit will be available shortly. Here is the link for more information: https://www.vintageraceworks.com/pro...r-disc-brakes/.

Here are the brackets installed onto the axle:

Now with the rotor and caliper mounted:

And here they are all installed with my Panhard Bar:

mikec35 and DonP like this.

Last edited by gikort; 01-30-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 07:54 PM

Garage
any chance you would sell me a pair of those bearing spacer rings to go with my explorer conversion?
Jeff
nice looking kit, by the way

Do SOMETHING every day
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtop67 View Post
any chance you would sell me a pair of those bearing spacer rings to go with my explorer conversion?
Jeff
nice looking kit, by the way
Thanks Jeff. Are you referring to the aluminum centric rings?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 11:10 PM

I'd be interested to find out if this would work with the 15" styled steel wheels. Seems like absolutely nothing works with those because of their dog dish build, which interferes with calipers.

I'm not particularly in the market for rear discs as much as front discs right now, but it would still be a really useful thing to know. Nothing I know of currently fits.

Calamity Jane 1966 Modified Fastback - Driven semi-daily!
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

See my travel blog here for my adventures: http://mapandamustang.blogspot.com/
Over 50,000 miles of North American roads driven on road trips since 2014. More always in the works - stay tuned!

When I show up at a car show and my car is covered in mud, it's probably because I drove 2000 miles to get there
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly_H View Post
I'd be interested to find out if this would work with the 15" styled steel wheels. Seems like absolutely nothing works with those because of their dog dish build, which interferes with calipers.

I'm not particularly in the market for rear discs as much as front discs right now, but it would still be a really useful thing to know. Nothing I know of currently fits.
I guess I need to find someone local that has a set and give it a try. The caliper does not extend past the hat of the rotor, so I would suspect it wouldn't be a problem, but I can't confirm. I also need to mock up a 14" wheel as some have asked about that as well.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 10:46 AM

Absolutely interested. I don't see any information related to rear brake lines, and rear emergency brake. Can you share more information?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 11:22 AM

Any plans to make a kit allowing the use of SN95 (V6/V8/Non-Cobra) FRONT brakes? That would be dope.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 12:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gikort View Post
Thanks Jeff. Are you referring to the aluminum centric rings?

I guess am referring to the centric ring, not the bit I need. What are the dimensions? I may be able to use it to centre the Explorer rotors.
thanks
Jeff

Do SOMETHING every day
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 12:06 PM

Please post up if they fit 14" wheels. If so I'd probably consider this setup for my 69 Mach with Magnum 500's.

69 Mach 1 428 CJ stock rebuild with Mild roller cam, and Long tube headers, 408hp
Modern Upgrades-TKO600, FiTech, A/C, Rostra Cruise Control

37 Ford Coupe- Boss 351, Massflo EFI, T5Z
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by groho View Post
Absolutely interested. I don't see any information related to rear brake lines, and rear emergency brake. Can you share more information?
There are a couple different ways to do the rear brake lines. You can either use a brake line adapter that lets you plumb the caliper hose directly into the hardline on the axle, or the best way is to replace the fitting on the hardline with the correct one for the caliper hose.

The SN95 calipers have the emergency brake bracket integrated into the caliper so you should use the SN95 cables and adapt them into the stock cable system on the car. I have not added the emergency brake to my cars, but it should be fairly simple to adapt (I should add it to one of my cars and create some how-to instructions).
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtop67 View Post
I guess am referring to the centric ring, not the bit I need. What are the dimensions? I may be able to use it to centre the Explorer rotors.
thanks
Jeff
I can make the centric rings to the dimensions you need.

As for the axle retainer spacers (they replace the drum backing plate), I can sell those separately as well.

Let me know, Thanks.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 08:58 PM

Garage
ok , let me figure out what I need.

Do SOMETHING every day
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj428mach View Post
Please post up if they fit 14" wheels. If so I'd probably consider this setup for my 69 Mach with Magnum 500's.
I was able to check fitment with 14" American Racing Outlaw II wheels without issue. I would imagine other wheels will fit just fine as well.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 12:06 AM

Sorry for the question, but does your kit need anything done at the machine shop?
I have (not installed) a conversion kit for using the Crown Vic rear disks, but it requires the axle bearing to be removed, a bracket slid on the axle, and then a new bearing pressed on.
Thanks,
Russ

RIP Mallory, Abby, and Sadie. And now Casey. :-( We miss you girls.

79 Pinto Hatchback. Fully caged, 8inch 4:10 gears. 351W. Aftermarket Tremec T5 (1352 251), Going to be a fun cruiser.

74 Pinto Wagon.
On maybe permanent hold.

72 Ranchero GT w/351Cleveland & automatic. Although this wasn't supposed to be a project car it seems that it has become one. Stupid rusted out California floor pans.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by russosborne View Post
Sorry for the question, but does your kit need anything done at the machine shop?
I have (not installed) a conversion kit for using the Crown Vic rear disks, but it requires the axle bearing to be removed, a bracket slid on the axle, and then a new bearing pressed on.
Thanks,
Russ
Hi Russ,

No, nothing is required at the machine shop. You need to pull the axles to remove the drum backing plates and install the axle spacer, but the bearing stays on the axle. You then reinstall the axle and bolt the caliper bracket to the back (inside) of the axle flange. I have been meaning to do a write up and install video, but in the meantime, here are the installation instructions: https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...structions.pdf

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page