225/60/15s - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 9Likes

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 12:08 PM

Garage
And the price is right too, I got mine really cheap online. Won't make me feel as bad for burnouts once I actually get this machine up and driving!

1968 Mustang Coupe - work in progress
1965 Ford F100 flareside pickup - daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

I put Cooper CS5 ultra tourings on. They were available and inexpensive and seem to handle the wet better than the rest. I'll post pics when I get them all on the car.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 11:11 AM

New here, but I'm planning on replacing my 205/70/14s on stock wheels with 15 x 7 LW20 Legendary ones, 215/60 front and 225/60 rear. I don't like the TAs either -- I think they look tacky on an older car, so I'm going with Cooper CS5 Ultras, nice looking blackwalls. I contacted the guys at Scott Drake and they say I may need to slightly bend my lower front wheel wells but not much. I have the "Shelby drop" and I'm planning on replacing the front drums with discs -- probably Wilwood but no firm decision yet.

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 01:21 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
@DustoffMedic, welcome! Former Army dustoff guy here.

On my '66, I have AR Torq Thrust D wheels in 15x7 front and 15x8 rear, which are custom two-piece versions with 4-inch BS front and 4.75-inch BS rear. My suspension is lowered approx. 2-inches all around, I have done the Shelby drop, and I've rolled the fender lips. You definitely have to have the fender lips rolled with this combo as mine rubbed initially until I rolled even further.

I've been running the BF Goodrich Comp T/A tires in 215/60 front and 225/60 rear for the last couple years and been quite happy with them. I tried 225s up front and they rubbed in turns. They can definitely appear period correct if you mount the white band inward. I regularly drive spiritedly on winding mountain roads (Angeles Crest and Mulholland Drive) and have zero grip issues. Additionally, they're not noisy, at not least to the point I can notice with 2.5-inch side exhaust. I suppose they could be a poor tire but I wouldn't hesitate to buy again for the street, especially for the price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FavMustangPic (Sept2018).jpg (576.0 KB, 16 views)
Oldhenry1 likes this.

66 GT350 Tribute in Sapphire Blue built over 12-years and finally being driven!
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 07:21 PM

Hi Brent, thanks for the welcome. Your car looks great with that setup. I didn't do any lowering except for the drop -- I replaced the rear springs ( worn out ) with stock type and new KYB shocks all around. I'm hoping not to have to do too much fender rolling. The guys at Scott Drake say that the 215/60s should be fine up front. I live in N. Central PA and we have some nice twistys which I really enjoy. Last year I put on a 1" front stabilizer bar and an export brace, and with the Shelby drop it really holds on the turns. As soon as the weather gets nice I'm getting busy on the tire/wheel/disc project.
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 09:00 PM

I hear the Mickey Thompsons are pretty good also.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 11:12 PM

Garage
I have a new to me 66 A code 4 spd Fastback that was modified 30 years ago(and sitting in a garage ever since) with the Road Race tricks that were available at the time. It looks to have close to the same stance as Brent's car does. It's hard to tell. The fenders have been flared(not sure how much different from from stock they are or how much more room there is). The suspension is 620 Lb springs up front with approx 1 coil cut. 1" Shelby drop. Ball joints flipped on the upper control arms(both upper and lower CA's boxed). 4 1/2 leaf de-arched springs(another 80's term)out back. Koni Orange Shocks, 1 1/8" front bar, 3/4" rear.
It currently has 14x7 wheels(unknown offset) with Ancient Riken 245/60/14 tires front and back. Quick Ratio steering. The front has a very slight rub going over low speed transition bumps/driveways at near lock steering(sounds like fender but I haven't looked for shiny spots) .
It has a stock width 8" 4:11 Trac-loc rear end with a Panhard Bar and Shelby Over-Rider traction bars. Plans are for a 9" swap(I have a 9" housing and 28 spline axles that were in a '65 but near as I can tell looks to be about 1" wider than stock would've been, 53 1/8" flange to flange).
I'd like to move up to 15" Torq Thrust D type wheels but not really sure what offsets I need or are available. I'm thinking(hoping) 15x7 and 15x8 will fit. Tire sizes TBD(most rubber=most fun).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Oldhenry1; 07-03-2019 at 11:17 PM.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 11:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhenry1 View Post
I have a new to me 66 A code 4 spd Fastback that was modified 30 years ago(and sitting in a garage ever since) with the Road Race tricks that were available at the time. It looks to have close to the same stance as Brent's car does. It's hard to tell. The fenders have been flared(not sure how much different from from stock they are or how much more room there is). The suspension is 620 Lb springs up front with approx 1 coil cut. 1" Shelby drop. Ball joints flipped on the upper control arms(both upper and lower CA's boxed). 4 1/2 leaf de-arched springs(another 80's term)out back. Koni Orange Shocks, 1 1/8" front bar, 3/4" rear.
It currently has 14x7 wheels(unknown offset) with Ancient Riken 245/60/14 tires front and back. Quick Ratio steering. The front has a very slight rub going over low speed transition bumps/driveways at near lock steering(sounds like fender but I haven't looked for shiny spots) .
It has a stock width 8" 4:11 Trac-loc rear end with a Panhard Bar and Shelby Over-Rider traction bars. Plans are for a 9" swap(I have a 9" housing and 28 spline axles that were in a '65 but near as I can tell looks to be about 1" wider than stock would've been, 53 1/8" flange to flange).
I'd like to move up to 15" Torq Thrust D type wheels but not really sure what offsets I need or are available. I'm thinking(hoping) 15x7 and 15x8 will fit. Tire sizes TBD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ball joints flipped ?
anyway 15x7x4.25 is what you want in the front 15x8x4.5 in the rear should do well

https://www.mustangdepot.com/graphic...guide65-66.pdf

Brad
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 11:57 PM

Garage
Cool, thanks for your help! Now I know what to start looking for.
The Upper Ball Joints are mounted down instead of up. Some old school trick I guess?
The whole car was done a long time ago and has been dormant for many years. I need to shake it down some and see what it needs where.
All I've done so far is drive it home.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 05:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Cool, thanks for your help! Now I know what to start looking for.
The Upper Ball Joints are mounted down instead of up. Some old school trick I guess?
The whole car was done a long time ago and has been dormant for many years. I need to shake it down some and see what it needs where.
All I've done so far is drive it home.
I'd be interested in seeing how this ball joint mod is done
awhtx likes this.

Brad
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 02:50 PM

Garage
Upon Further Review

I was wrong. My Bad. The uppers aren't flipped. I was told they were. Should've done my homework.

I'm trying to fit 15" Torq Thrusts under it.

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/a...714066&thumb=1

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/a...714080&thumb=1

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/a...714082&thumb=1

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/a...714072&thumb=1
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Just a heads up for everyone..

I went 225/60R15 with Cooper CS5;s. Drove 4300 miles in about 9 days. (power tour and then the cannonball to get home) They handled pretty well for an All season. GREAT in the rain. Not much noise. Good wear. Produce gobs of burnout smoke.

HOWEVER! The front fenders needed to be rolled with how low my car sits on the SorT coil overs. I need to trim the rear lips as well, as the rub with a full (22gal) tank and all our gear. But just barely.

I'm now gonna find some red lines to put on the 14in styled steels for local shows and that retro vibe. These and the legendary wheels have become my road trip tires. When I burn them off, Ill swap to some 50 series grippier tires.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
I was wrong. My Bad. The uppers aren't flipped. I was told they were. Should've done my homework.

I'm trying to fit 15" Torq Thrusts under it.

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/a...714066&thumb=1

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/a...714080&thumb=1

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/a...714082&thumb=1

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/a...714072&thumb=1
links not working
15x7x4.25 with 225/60/15 squared will work
or the more common
15x7x3.75 with 215/60/15

Brad
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:34 PM

Garage
https://www.vulcantire.com/sportrac5...zes_and_prices

Vredestein Sportrac 5

'67 coupe, 390, 4spd.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustoffMedic View Post
I live in N. Central PA and we have some nice twistys which I really enjoy.

Well, your in Huskinhano country I believe which depending on how nice your car is, you could be a candidate for the Rat Pack and our occasional gatherings at autocross courses and opening day at Watkins Glen. However, we are pretty particular about which cars we let into our "club". Most Mustangs are too nice to qualify but perhaps with the right "initiation fee" we might be able to bend the rules and give out an "associate membership", we would have to run that by the board for review first but I could put in a good word if you have aspirations...

Cheers

M
Huskinhano and 2nd 66 like this.

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page