Just had original hubcap stolen. What now? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 8Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Just had original hubcap stolen. What now?

I just had one of my original hubcaps stolen here in LA. As this car is new to me, Iím sure this will continue to happen.

1. Whereís the best place to look for a replacement (attached is a photo of the style I have)

2. Moving forward, are there ways to lock the hubcaps? And if not:

3. Alternative hub cabs that look great, support the vintage style and lock
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BF395831-D5F5-4872-A487-AFD8C55D7122.jpg (515.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg A750DE78-DE04-41CB-84CD-EBE8F4E6E8BA.jpg (462.3 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:38 PM
Dimples

Garage
Just replace the one you lost. There are a variety of resources from parts houses to swap meets. This one ainít rocket science.

And since you only lost one, odds are it popped off while driving. It happens.
2nd 66, 4ocious and RV6 like this.

The anvil of reality.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
Just replace the one you lost. There are a variety of resources from parts houses to swap meets. This one ainít rocket science.

And since you only lost one, odds are it popped off while driving. It happens.
Thanks for the advice. Never considered itíd just pop off. I might go back and try to find it.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:06 PM
Dimples

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlonrando View Post
Thanks for the advice. Never considered itíd just pop off. I might go back and try to find it.
Yeah I lost one off of my 65 coupe back in the day from hitting a pothole (same side/wheel as yours). Thankfully my passenger heard it and we stopped. I ended up finding a spare at a swap meet and grabbed that just in case. Turns out, that spare wheel cover is the only thing I have left from that car after selling it. Makes great wall decoration.

The anvil of reality.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:21 PM

Never lost a wire wheel style cover..... did have two of these depart the rims though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00395lg-01.jpg (21.7 KB, 79 views)

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:52 PM

Garage
Yeah probably came off while driving. If you go back and watch the chase scene from Bullitt you will see the charger lose 5 of them.
subpar63 and Dan Babb like this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 03:04 PM
Dimples

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlee53 View Post
Yeah probably came off while driving. If you go back and watch the chase scene from Bullitt you will see the charger lose 5 of them.
Hahah, I think it's even more than that. Great infographic on this here:

INFOGRAPHIC: How Many Hubcaps Came Off the Dodge Charger in Bullitt? | BestRide
2nd 66 likes this.

The anvil of reality.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 04:00 PM

Funny it was also my right front that would fly off, it might be while being stupid in a parking lot or a normal left hand turn.

Verbose Vocabularian
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 04:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
That's not even the right hubcap for a '65... What you have on your car there are '67-'70 Wire Wheel Hubcaps. The hubcap itself is the same as the '65-'66 Wire Wheel hubcap (Sprint 200 Version), but they have a Blue Ford Crest center with a Flat Chrome Spinner. The '67-'69 Wire Wheel hubcap (Which is what you lost) is the same cap, but it has a Red Non-Spinner Center piece.

You can get the EXACT REPLACEMENT cap you need at NPD, or HUBCAPS.com Just ask for a '67-'70 Mustang Wire Wheel Hubcap with Red Center. Price is anywhere from $75 for a used one to $130 for a New one. If you ever want to remove the '67-'69 Round Chrome Pieces with Red Centers from your current hubcaps and add the correct Spinners... You can buy a Set of Four Correct '65-'66 Spinners with Blue Ford Crest and swap them out for your Red Chromed centers and you'll have the "correct" caps for your car. The set of 4-spinners for '65-'66 goes for about $200.00 from NPD. The cap itself was the same from 1965 to 1970, Just the center and spinner changed..

Picture below is the same exact cap that you have, but with the correct '65-'66 spinners.

Also, Noone would rarely steal just one hubcap... Chances are that the cap was not secured correctly and you lost it turning a corner. If the anchoring tabs are not correctly bent to the correct angle, or the cap has been removed 1000 times, It will come off if the metal tabs aren't in the right position. With that being said, In 30+ years of drive, I've only had one cap come of once....just once. and I luckily saw it come off in my rearview mirror...and I was also driving like Steve McQueen at the time when it happened (Don't we all??)... lol...

Years ago, They used to sell Cable kits for the hubcaps that locked onto one of the lugs.. I haven't seen them sold in at least 20 years..Probably a good business opportunity....and they are a joke to make on your own..

)

Tony K.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1966 Sprint 200 Wire Wheel hubcap.jpg (31.9 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 1966MelbourneFLConvertibleFR380Tires.jpg (72.5 KB, 6 views)

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!

Last edited by NEFaurora; 06-14-2019 at 04:50 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
Years ago, They used to sell Cable kits for the hubcaps that locked onto one of the lugs.. I haven't seen them sold in at least 20 years.

I remember seeing those about 40-50 years ago. Probably in the JCWhitney catalog, right next to the porthole windows for '65/'66 Mustang Hardtops!
The young whippersnappers in this hobby have no idea what they've missed in life having never pored over a JCWhitney catalog.
2nd 66 likes this.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:15 PM

Garage
I repeatedly lost a pair of 65 hubcaps a friend gave me for 1st 66. of course I had them mounted on chrome reverse dish 14x8.5 wheels with G60-14's air shocks and lakewoods
BlakeTX likes this.

Brad
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:25 PM

If you like the one that @GT289 posted, I have a set of NOS Ford caps that I would sell for a very decent price.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
That's not even the right hubcap for a '65... What you have on your car there are '67-'70 Wire Wheel Hubcaps. The hubcap itself is the same as the '65-'66 Wire Wheel hubcap (Sprint 200 Version), but they have a Blue Ford Crest center with a Flat Chrome Spinner. The '67-'69 Wire Wheel hubcap (Which is what you lost) is the same cap, but it has a Red Non-Spinner Center piece.

You can get the EXACT REPLACEMENT cap you need at NPD, or HUBCAPS.com Just ask for a '67-'70 Mustang Wire Wheel Hubcap with Red Center. Price is anywhere from $75 for a used one to $130 for a New one. If you ever want to remove the '67-'69 Round Chrome Pieces with Red Centers from your current hubcaps and add the correct Spinners... You can buy a Set of Four Correct '65-'66 Spinners with Blue Ford Crest and swap them out for your Red Chromed centers and you'll have the "correct" caps for your car. The set of 4-spinners for '65-'66 goes for about $200.00 from NPD. The cap itself was the same from 1965 to 1970, Just the center and spinner changed..

Picture below is the same exact cap that you have, but with the correct '65-'66 spinners.

Also, Noone would rarely steal just one hubcap... Chances are that the cap was not secured correctly and you lost it turning a corner. If the anchoring tabs are not correctly bent to the correct angle, or the cap has been removed 1000 times, It will come off if the metal tabs aren't in the right position. With that being said, In 30+ years of drive, I've only had one cap come of once....just once. and I luckily saw it come off in my rearview mirror...and I was also driving like Steve McQueen at the time when it happened (Don't we all??)... lol...

Years ago, They used to sell Cable kits for the hubcaps that locked onto one of the lugs.. I haven't seen them sold in at least 20 years..Probably a good business opportunity....and they are a joke to make on your own..

)

Tony K.
Thanks for the advice and clarification Tony, itís much appreciated.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrote View Post
If you like the one that @GT289 posted, I have a set of NOS Ford caps that I would sell for a very decent price.
Thanks. I already grabbed an exact replacement to keep it simple.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
I remember seeing those about 40-50 years ago. Probably in the JCWhitney catalog, right next to the porthole windows for '65/'66 Mustang Hardtops!
The young whippersnappers in this hobby have no idea what they've missed in life having never pored over a JCWhitney catalog.
I remember seeing those as well. One comment I remember is that if the wheel cover comes off while you are driving, it's going to still be attached to the wheel and beat up the fender/QP.

1966 Sprint 200
Mostly stockish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page