BFG's at stock 14"/15" vs Michelin at 17" - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 7Likes
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 11:29 AM

There are quite a few 6x15 and 7x15 wheels that will fit perfectly and be period correct. And 215 or 225/60s will fit with no problems. Also consider 205/65s or 205/70s x 14.
I have 7x15 AmRacing wheels and 235/60 Coopers which required the front fenders to be rolled. One size smaller would have been perfect.
As for the brakes, don't put disc brakes on the back unless your racing. There is no benefit for normal street driving except a lighter wallet.
PS Love the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Disk brakes already on the rear, the original drums were trashed beyond recognition and I just suck at drum brakes.
Not a "stopping power" decision, but a "know my limits" decision.
I could do a write up on them. They are the most professional looking things I have seen so far.
From Street-or-Track.
Per the size of tire... Cooper (or Micky T which is a cooper brand) 225/60's on 7x15 sound like the ticket.
As per my first post, I 100% know what I will put on if I say 15", my concern is how long good 15" will be around.
Not too many choices.

Lee
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen_wilson View Post
What Michelin's are you guys seeing dry-rot on ? After how many Years ? I've had Pilot Sports, Super Sports, and A/S 3's and never seen anything of the sort. Granted, they were 18's and never lasted more than 3-4 Years. I was pretty impressed when a SS with a slow puncture got me home with on 5 PSI left in it. I plugged the tire and it was good to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Seems for this group, the Coopers are getting good press, they seem to be American, so I might give them a try, I think they make the Micky T tires too.
Seems the vote heavily for the 15" vs rim size upgrade too.

Dry Rot:
I was not going to argue with someone who claims to be "in the business" but....
My Michelins usually last longer than most tires so will get to a point of dry-rot before they reach the tread bars. They also give superior traction which is why I like them. Current fleet = 92 F-150, 97 4wd Suburban, 04 Dodge megacab (all with LTX), 04 Chevy Volt with whatever their most expensive uber premium tire was when I bought them, and of course the 68 Mustang in question currently wearing some hankook rubber bands that I bought it with.

Vendor Articles:
Ya, well, reminds me of when Discount Tire tried to tell me to put my best tread on the rear of a high strung fox mustang I owned. They actually convinced those poor kids that you get better braking with the rear doing the stopping. The kids actually refused to put the new tires on the front until I got the manager, showed him my purchase history, and asked if he really wanted to loose a customer over this kind of stupidity. He was old enough to actually understand weight transfer.
I suppose when a vendor starts trying to tell me something that does not align with 40ish years of experience, (farm kid, do not know when I started on the road, but way before I was legal), I usually have to wonder what their angle is. Possibly I just can not be told anything. We used to call that common sense or having judgement. I can only guess these "articles" are lawsuit driven. "we told you to leave it stock".

Anyone who has ever rode a motorcycle, driven a Model T (ya my dad has one), started on bias ply narrow rubber bands, driven on roads that were rutted when muddy but are now dry, driven a tractor (the ones with narrow, rut following front tires, ya we do that on purpose to easly follow the furrow) driven a variety of cars and tire sizes, or has one ounce of common sense knows that wider tires stay out of the ruts better.

There is some truth in the articles, which is the core of most deceptions, but the assertion that wider tires make rut following worse is absurd.
Wider tires do change the stresses on the suspension, and bad offsets will cause bad issues. Significant camber/toe will also cause issues when one tire hits something unusual, shorter sidewalls can make the tire more ridged and make them ride worse, depending on the tire of course.
All the negatives are when stupid people take things to extremes which is not what I am doing.
I can't give a particular model of Michelin ,it's not limited to one. I've seen some 4 years old rotted so bad I wouldn't use them. Stereotypes happen for a reason, exceptions to the rule always apply

Brad

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Unread Today, 09:58 AM

I had a set of Michelin light truck tires on my F-150 that started to dry rot at around 3 years, but I attribute that to living in the Cal desert, and the truck lived outside. The tread lasted much longer than the sidewalls. I replaced them with another set of Michelin's, and so far they seem to be doing just fine.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page