Legendary Wheel magnum 500 - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 12:49 PM
zed

Anyone have an idea of what the weight difference is, aluminum versus original steel 15x7 wheels? Looks like a great option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 12:15 AM

Does anybody have a set of the 16's mounted? I've waited 5 years to pull the trigger on some nice wheels over stock steelies. I'm considering Torq Thrust by default, but I'd love to keep the stock look if the 16" 500's look sharp.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 06:26 AM

I don't think anyone will go up close and have a look at them. But you're right, they do look great only from a distance.

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 08:36 PM

i just got a set of 16"s to put on wifes 68.. now to order new tires-- then her old 15" magnums go on the market..

i ordered 16 x 8 gloss for all the way around -- now im second guessing if i should have got 7" for the fronts.. !

Mike
64.5 vert rust free survivor :
Stacked EFI- Ford strokers 347
Hydroboost/InfinityBox /Coilovers
4 link rear w/17 x 9's
13" custom brakes

64.5 Vert (all original sheetmetal)
68 survivor vert- 5.0 AOD wifes driver
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3363178 64.5 build
www.cartelclassics.com (all will eventually load here)

Last edited by fonebooth; 02-06-2016 at 08:38 PM.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 10:41 AM

fonebooth -- any photos?
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 11:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
Anyone have an idea of what the weight difference is, aluminum versus original steel 15x7 wheels? Looks like a great option.
Kinda an old thread but, I just got the Legend Magnum 500 wheels in 15x7, they weigh 16 pounds. The 14x7 Cragar S/S wheels I removed were 21 pounds.

'66 Coupe: GT40 5.0: 670 Holley & Edelbrock RPM AirGap: JBA shorties: AOD w/TCI shiftkit: Granada Disks: R&P steering: 3.55 Currie
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 06:22 PM

Beware of fitment issues with disc conversions!! I just installed 15x7 Magnum 500's on my 65 coupe. Standard 4.25" backspacing on 215/60 tires. Replaced Cragars (hated the rust and the universal fit washers.) Love the look but ran into two issues.

1. Years ago I did a Versailles front disc conversion. The LW center caps will not install with this conversion because the bearing dust cap extends too far into the center hole.
2. The center caps (if I could use them) come with screws that are slightly too short in my opinion. Only about one thread catches when installed. This seems far too risky, even with all 4 screws installed. Has anyone else notice this? The centers I purchased may be for sale soon.....

Because of the disc conversion I think the only solution I have is to use the snap in center that comes with each LW wheel. It's plastic but does fit over the dust cap. Ugh! But I have no choice. Problem is I need a nice adhesive decal for each center. LW or Drake doesn't sell just the decal on their web site.

I've contacted LW and will see what they say. Nothing is ever easy right? The joys of our toys!
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 10:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy65 View Post
Because of the disc conversion I think the only solution I have is to use the snap in center that comes with each LW wheel. It's plastic but does fit over the dust cap. Ugh! But I have no choice. Problem is I need a nice adhesive decal for each center. LW or Drake doesn't sell just the decal on their web site.
I had the same issue with my Granada conversion. I used the supplied snap-in center and drilled holes to allow the mating to the Dake center cap. Worked out well, we'll see how the plastic center cap holds up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0167.jpg (13.8 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0169.jpg (15.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0165.jpg (18.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0163.jpg (18.8 KB, 53 views)

'66 Coupe: GT40 5.0: 670 Holley & Edelbrock RPM AirGap: JBA shorties: AOD w/TCI shiftkit: Granada Disks: R&P steering: 3.55 Currie

Last edited by RestoMike66; 10-30-2016 at 10:37 AM.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 02:11 PM

Thanks RestoMike66. Interesting solution. The two caps (Drake and snap-in) don't mate so well and would look odd. IMHO. If the Drake cap fully covered the snap-in then it could work. I've decided to return the Drake caps. I located emblems online that will fit nicely on the snap-ins. A quick ebay search of Mustang center cap emblems brought up a variety of options. Will still talk to LW. They could warn about compatibility with Grenada / Versailles swaps since they are so popular. Or at least sell compatible emblems. But I suppose they want to sell $27/ea center caps, not lower priced emblems.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 09:04 PM

Follow up info

Spoke with Drake regarding Legendary Wheel center caps. The Granada disc swap is a known fitment issue. They apologized but simply said that the wheels are designed for stock disc brakes, YMMV with aftermarket equipment. Regarding the screw length they indicated that it was a "bad run" and offered to send proper screws. Since I can't use the center caps it was a moot point. Still not much help when standing at the tire shop.

Since the snap on center caps fit and come with the wheels I inquired about emblems, not being interested in the "LW" emblems that came out of the box. They put me on hold then came back and said they could send mustang tri-bar emblems. Great...however, that was over a 10 days ago and still no emblems.

Unfortunately the set I located on ebay were too large (56.5mm). The center cap requires 54mm. Bad measuring on my part. So back to Google....

I found the web sit TFB Designs- Custom Vehicle Graphics, Signs, Apparel, Decals that sells custom sized center cap emblems with various Mustang graphic options. I went with standard silver running horse. $20. Should have within a week. Fingers are crossed. Will post results when I receive.

Bottom line, Drake needs to provide different center cap options and warn of compatibility issues. I spent over $600 for wheels and then found myself basically scrambling for $5 stickers.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 08:49 AM

Hats off to Scott Drake! They came through for me with the center badges. Very nice thick plastic with tri-bar Mustang running horse. They said the badges are the same used in the attachable centers available for sale. Fitment is perfect in the snap on rings. They advised only to use silicon adhesive. Pictures below. SD provided the badges at no charge, even better. It took 2 phone calls and a bit of whining I asked why the badges aren't for sale and the rep--Paul--had no answer. No promises that you can also obtain the badges at no cost...but give it a try if the attachable centers aren't an option. (PS - The custom badges from TFB Designs were thin vinyl and not at all what's needed. They could maybe fit over existing badges but not empty center caps.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1079.JPG (46.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1078.JPG (44.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1077.JPG (59.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1076.JPG (53.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1075.JPG (62.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1073.JPG (52.6 KB, 28 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page